Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Get off the fence, you are killing your future.

Moderation? It's mediocrity, fear, and confusion in disguise. It's the devil's dilemma. It's neither doing nor not doing. It's the wobbling compromise that makes no one happy. Moderation is for the bland, the apologetic, for the fence-sitters of the world afraid to take a stand. It's for those afraid to laugh or cry, for those afraid to live or die. Moderation...is lukewarm tea, the devil's own brew.

Dan Millman, Way of the Peaceful Warrior



A friend sent this to me the other day and got me thinking. I work in the healthcare industry at a large area hospital. I see people die on a regular basis. I also see families keep people alive, on machines and drugs, to avoid having to “deal” with the reality of death for a few more days. I have made my wishes to my family and friends as to what I want done in the “End” if it comes down to it. I have also told other friends what to do to said family members if my wishes are not carried out. Call it “end of life” insurance. That’s for another day.



Today is all about being Healthy. A friend of mine brought up this point in a conversation today. “Why are Americans so FAT?” A HUGE question to tackle, in more ways than one. I, myself, think people are lazy, just plain lazy. The days of hard work and sweat in this country have long been replaced by an entitlement and “ME” society. I pay taxes so those same lazy people can get free healthcare. I work out 6 days a week, spend money on quality food, and I try to keep my weight up to military specs (5’ 8” tall = 169 lbs to be fit…if I recall correctly). What if that was a requirement for food stamps, or a welfare check. What if you had to meet a fitness standard to get your “free” money each month? Diabetes’s, Heart Disease, and High Blood Pressure are just a few examples of things we spend billions of dollars on each year that could, in large part, be eliminated with a good diet and healthy exercise habits. I do not expect anyone to have to complete a marathon to get the aid they need. I do think that our tax dollars would be better spent on fresh vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats. Not processed food and soda pop. People are up in arms about soda pop taxes these days. I hate taxes as much as the next guy, but I like this one. Let’s throw in any beverage that is high in any of the corn syrup derivatives, not just the carbonated ones. As long as that money goes directly to pay for education about healthy lifestyles and helping people get better foods. As a nation of lazy people we have blamed everyone but ourselves for the mess we are in. Wake up, take a good hard look at your life, and make changes that will keep you out of the doctors’ offices and hospitals. Healthcare is cheap, when you do not need to use it!!!



That brings me back to the quote from Dan Millman. The time for fence sitting is over. This nation will crumble under its own debt, based on Medicare expenses alone, if we do not get off the fence and make it happen. If you want to be “free” and do what you want to, I am OK with that. Just make sure you are not spending my money to keep your fat ass from dying. Tell your friends, get the movement started, one healthy person at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, from the heart and what The Fitness Industry (doctors, nurses, physical therapists, big chain grocery stores, fitness and recreation centers, the majority of personal trainers and group fitness instructors are unwilling to say because if people get healthy the don't come in for their regularly scheduled visits which contribute to The Fitness Industry's IRA and 401k contributions. Good thing you don't belong to a health club or a recreation center, they would kick you out.

    Thanks for speaking your voice again!

    CJ Ong, Jr.

    ReplyDelete